Sunday 3 June 2012

Red, White & Blue Cupcakes

Happy Jubilee Weekend Everyone! I hope you enjoy your 4-day weekend, it’s a shame the weather didn’t get the memo. In the spirit of the jubilee, I’ve made some very simple red, white and blue cupcakes. There is something about cupcakes that is just so fun to make whatever the occasion and with the extra time off there is almost no excuse not to!
As usual, I used my basic vanilla cupcake recipe (200g and 4 eggs) to make up the cake batter. I then divided the mixture as evenly as I could between three bowls. For the white section I left the mixture untouched and added a bit of blue food colouring to one bowl and some red to the other and mixed thoroughly to combine. I used basic liquid food colouring for this (blue Dr Oetker and red Silverspoon) but if you don’t already have food colourings and are thinking of buying some I highly recommend buying gel colours. While they can be slightly more expensive they produce much more vibrant colours with a very small amount of product whereas I find the liquid ones don’t have a very good intensity.
Once my mixture was coloured I started to put the mixture in my cases. I did one teaspoon of each colour in the bottom of each case then went back and did another teaspoon of each on the opposite side to mix the colours up as much as possible. I then swirled a cocktail stick through the mixture in each case wiping it clean after each one to gently mix the colours together. I then baked them in the oven for 20minutes.
Once out of the oven and completely cooled I made up a batch of buttercream icing and swirled it onto the top of each cake and decorated with red, white and blue sugarballs. This very simple but effective recipe is perfect for any jubilee celebrations! You can also use different colours and layering to create different effects in your cupcakes or transfer the ideas over to larger cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment