Sunday 29 July 2012

Vegan Mocha Stripes

Well that’s it kids, summer’s over! We had sunshine for a whole week and now it’s raining. Again. Here’s hoping the rain doesn’t last as long this time! I hope everyone managed to at least enjoy the sun while it lasted and didn’t get horrifically burnt like me! Having to aftersun eight times a day even when at work is not fun. I have quite a few summer recipes I really want to test so I’m hoping August will put me in the mood as today I really wasn’t feeling it so I made these cookies instead.
This is another recipe taken from The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes by Kris Holechek which you’ll know from reading my other vegan posts I’m blown away by! All the recipes are so accessible and if you don’t want to go out of your way to find what I consider to be unusual ingredients like flaxseeds or different oils, you don’t have to! Even if you’re not vegan, these recipes are so delicious it would be silly to disregard them purely for that. Also, eggs are often the most expensive part of baking so recipes that don’t require them must be a good thing!
Whenever I’ve made anything vegan I don’t generally tell people its vegan (unless they are actually vegan) until they’ve eaten it as I feel it can often colour their judgement. When I tell them the reaction I get is always ‘Wow, I had no idea!’ which I always find to be a slightly crazy reaction because why should the absence of dairy mean that its going to taste weird or completely different to a non vegan cookie?! But anyway, this recipe is another classic cookie recipe resulting in cookies that are almost crunchy round the edges and gooey/chewy on the inside with the added crispness of the drizzled chocolate on top, mouth-watering!

They are very simple, take minimal time in the oven and taste delicious! The dark chocolate balances the coffee flavour much more than milk chocolate would. However, if you are not a coffee fan then I’d think twice about putting 4 tbsps of coffee in as it is quite a strong flavour but as I’m a big coffee fan I love them and have eaten two already…

Here is the recipe:

2 cups flour
1tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp instant coffee
¼ cup warm milk
¾ cup margarine
1 ½ cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup chocolate chips melted (I used 50g chocolate)

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, dissolve coffee in warm milk. In a large bowl, cream together margarine and sugar. Add vanilla and coffee mixture. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in batches until well mixed

Drop tablespoon-sized balls onto a baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 10 minutes until the cookies spread and the edges are set. If you are baking more than one sheet at a time, rotate the sheets halfway through the baking time. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack

Once the cookies are cool, carefully spoon melted chocolate into a sandwich bag. Make a small snip off one of the bottom corners of the bag to create a very small opening. Pipe chocolate onto cookies in thin stripes, zigzagging across all the cookies until the chocolate is used up. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature


And don't forget to Lick Your Spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment