Monday 13 February 2012

Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies


I’ve wanted to make these since I came across them when researching baking blogs. I found them on obsessedwithbaking and you can view their original blog post and recipe here. I cut the measurements in half and made about 18 cookies. The idea of these sounded absolutely incredible as I am a massive fan of both caramel and chocolate! I will warn you now they are quite time-consuming but well worth the effort!


I used Cadbury’s Dairy Milk Caramel for the inside element as I prefer it to Galaxy and I also use Cadbury’s Bourneville cocoa powder so I wanted to keep the same taste. Following obsessedwithbaking’s advice, I froze the individual squares of chocolate before I started making this recipe in order to keep the gooeyness of the caramel when baked. It does also make it easier to handle with the dough as it can get quite sticky. The original cookie recipe says to use the paddle attachment on your food mixer so if you have one I would recommend using that as mixing the dry ingredients into the wet mixture can get pretty hard going (but I see it as justification for the amount of the dough I eat during the baking process!)


The cooling period for the dough is very important. While 2 hours seems a long time it is definitely necessary because, as I said before, the dough gets sticky quickly and harder to handle. A cookie scoop is used in the original recipe but I’ve never heard of that before so needless to say I did not use it! I shaped some of the dough into a vague circle just bigger than the chocolate square then covered it over with more of the dough. Make sure you cover the chocolate well and seal the edges or else the caramel will leak out!


Once they have cooled for about 5-10 minutes they are firm enough to lift off the tray and amazing to eat right then as the insides are amazingly gooey! I really can not stress enough how delicious these are. I may be slightly biased and do absolutely love caramel but everyone else who has tried them thinks they are good also so really do try them!

Here is the recipe I used slightly adapted from the original. I still used cup measurements though but if you don’t have any I recommend getting some as all American recipes you find online will use cups!:

½ cup of unsalted butter (at room temperature or its hard to measure a cup’s worth)
½ cup of light brown sugar
½ cup of granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg (the original used extra large but I used a medium one and that was fine so use whatever size you like!)
⅓ cup of unsweetened cocoa
1 cup of flour
½ tsp of baking powder
½ tsp of salt
About 18 caramel squares

Cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla extract and egg and beat in to the mixture really well.

Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt into a separate bowl and then mix into the butter mixture (this is where it suggests using the paddle attachment on the mixer on a low speed but I used a wooden spoon).

Cover the bowl and put into the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.

This is the time to definitely Lick Your Spoon as it tastes lush!

Once the dough is cool, preheat the oven to 180 °C.

Shape some of the dough into a vague circle just bigger than the chocolate square then cover it over with more of the dough and place on a greased baking tray. (Make sure you cover all the seams!)

Bake for 12 minutes in the oven (the cookies will seem underdone but they’re infact perfect). Let them cool slightly on the tray before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.


2 comments:

  1. Also, I can confirm that even after they are completely cooled the middle is still gooey. I just tried another one, you know, just to check...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can vouch for this!! I have just had one the day after she made them and they are DELICIOUS!!!!! Bit annoyed I only got 1....hehe x

    ReplyDelete