Saturday 4 February 2012

Raspberry and White Chocolate Muffins


So for my first post I thought I’d start with one of my favourites, Raspberry and White Chocolate Muffins. Muffins are great to bake. Recipes are often very simple and once you find a basic one you like, you can add anything to them from chocolate chips to blueberries, the possibilities are endless! 




I first came across this combination on a recipe card I had when I was younger and it was definitely a hit. When going to make them a few months ago the recipe card could not be found and so, after a few trail runs and an adaptation or two, the one I’ve used here is definitely my favourite. You also don’t need to worry with things like sieving the flour as the batter you’re aiming for is lumpy anyway. This recipe is just a case of mixing wet and dry together separately and then combining the two, simple as that.




When making muffins it can often be hard to get that really high ‘muffin top’ and my friend Rose recently mentioned the same problem to me when she tried some a few weeks ago. I think the secret is to use a deep muffin pan rather than one you would use to make fairy cakes. The deeper pan provides more support for the mixture when baking ensuring it goes up rather than out.




I personally think these taste best when they are warm, about 10-15mins after you take them out of the oven. Any earlier than that the chocolate and raspberries are still too liquidy to hold together well. That said, they are delicious when cool too so don’t feel like you have to eat them all at once!


Here is the recipe for the muffins I made:

2 eggs
125ml vegetable oil
250ml milk
1tsp vanilla extract
200g caster sugar
400g plain flour
3tsp baking power
1tsp very fine salt
100g white chocolate chips
150g raspberries

Preheat the oven at 200°C

Put the eggs, oil, milk, vanilla and sugar in a bowl and beat well

Mix the flour, baking power, salt and white chocolate chips in a separate bowl (I use the bowl for my scales to save on washing up!)

Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir well

Gently mix in the raspberries (Try to keep them whole but it’s inevitable that some will break up)

Divide into muffin cases and bake for 25 minutes

Then its time to Lick Your Spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment