Saturday 3 March 2012

Blueberry Breakfast Muffins

I know I have made muffins before but these are breakfast muffins, legitimate morning food. I can hear what you’re thinking, I’ve just put breakfast in the name and expect everyone to believe me, but it’s true! These are ‘traditional’ American muffins which are a lighter mixture with less sugar and are enjoyed at breakfast. Anyone who has stayed in an American hotel can back me up on this one; they usually have a whole stand dedicated to muffins and doughnuts. As I am not a fan of usual breakfast foods, mainly stemming from my severe dislike of milk, you can imagine the idea of muffins for breakfast appealed to me massively.
I found this recipe in Mary Berry’s Ultimate Cake Book that I found for a bargain price in my local Oxfam Bookshop. If you ever get bored of looking online for recipes, charity bookshops are a great place to pick up cheap cookery and baking books. I’m needing a bit of inspiration lately trying to find chocolate-free recipes!
Currently, I have a little obsession with blueberries which is why I chose to do this recipe now. They are a yummy fruit, a great ‘superfood’ and full of antioxidants! I’m even using them in a fresh face mask from LUSH at the moment so let’s hope it’s not possible to turn into one as I don’t fancy looking like Violet Beauregarde. As I said earlier, these use less sugar than regular muffins would, so that with the fruit makes these less calorific than others can be.
Whilst I am usually very good at following recipes, I added a few more blueberries than the recipe suggested and well, they leaked all over the place so my muffins have veins! I also made them as mini muffins once and that doesn’t work as there isn’t enough mixture to support the blueberries and they collapse. So basically, follow the recipe as it says below or use a different filling if you don’t have my blueberry obsession! Of course, no matter what they look like, they still taste delicious.

Here is the recipe:

250g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g soft margarine
75g caster sugar
175g fresh blueberries
Grated rind of one lemon (I missed this out as I didn’t have a lemon)
2 medium eggs
250ml milk

Preheat the oven to 200°C

Mix the flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl and then rub in the margarine with the tips of your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs

Stir in the sugar, blueberries and grated lemon rind

Mix together the eggs and milk and then add to the dry ingredients. Mix quickly to blend it all together. (It is supposed to look lumpy)

Spoon the mixture into muffin cases and bake in the oven for 20-25minutes until golden brown and firm to touch

Then Lick Your Spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment