Sunday 13 May 2012

Chocolate and Raspberry Whoopie Pies

Yet another delight from over the pond! I was struggling for baking inspiration when I came across these and couldn’t resist. The recipe was features on a top ten whoopee pie recipe list and is from Gourmet.com. I’ve only eaten them once before and intrigued by the biscuit come cake sandwich parts. As for the filling, super sweet! But upon reading a variety of recipes I realised lots of different fillings are used so I picked one that contained marshmallow fluff as I’m still totally excited about it. While the recipe made a chocolate and vanilla version, I used raspberry marshmallow fluff instead to create these chocolate and raspberry pies.
The sandwich parts are often referred to as ‘cookies’ but to me they are much more cakey in taste and texture once baked. The mixture is however quite stiff once everything is mixed in together and the 25 year old handheld I was using was struggling somewhat towards the end! The recipe said to keep them 2inches apart and after my cookie fiasco I thought I’d better pay attention but mine didn’t seem to spread a whole lot. They also didn’t come out as smooth as I expected and all whoopee pies I’ve seen have been very flat and smooth. Next time I think I’ll make more of an effort to smooth them before they go in with the hope of achieving better presentation!
When I made the filling up, I was a little concerned there wouldn’t be enough to fill each of the sandwiches but it was very deceiving as after filling them twice over there was still enough for me to eat by the tablespoon! This mixture said it made 8 sandwiches in total so I followed it exactly this time to test it but I think in future I will make smaller balls and flatten them more myself with the hope of making more from the mixture!
While there are some presentation issues I will be troubleshooting in future, these taste amazing! The chocolate sandwich is not overly sweet so nicely balances the very sweet raspberry mallow filling. Definitely something I will make again and I’ll be adapting the recipe to try out different varieties too.

No comments:

Post a Comment