Wednesday 2 May 2012

Mini Victoria Sponges

These are so cute! I saw the tin to make these ages ago and thought they were a great idea, perfect for tea parties! I finally bought it the other week and so decided to try it out this weekend. The tin is by My Kitchen and is available from Lakeland. I got it as part of their buy one get one half price offer or else it’s a little expensive for a tin!
After reading the reviews on the website I found a post that said a 3 egg mixture was the right one for this tin so that’s what I used. If you use this tin make sure you grease the holes really well or else the loose bottoms will take the bottoms off the cake. Also be careful you make sure the loose bases are properly centred or else some of the mixture will fall through the bottom which you can see happened to one of mine!
I originally anticipated that each cake would be a layer so 12 holes would make 6 mini cakes. They rose a lot higher than I thought so I cut the tops off to make them flat. In hindsight, I think I should have tried cutting each cake in half and sandwiching it back together and so made 12 cakes as the 6 I made are pretty high! I just used jam in between mine and a sprinkle of icing sugar on top, keeping it simple but you can always add some buttercream or even fresh cream to make it a bit fancier.
I love the idea of these but am not totally satisfied with the outcome just yet so this is something I’m definitely going to be working on as I do think this bake is perfect for an afternoon treat with a cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment